Glastonbury Basketball Association - General Information
GBA RECREATION AND TRAVEL DIVISIONS
The GBA operates in conjunction with the Glastonbury Parks and Recreation Department. Please take a minute to read this important information.
The Rec Program is GBA's most popular program, and there are about 1,500 boys & girls in grades 3-12 involved. There are no tryouts, everyone plays, just assessments to balance teams. Rec Registration typically opens in Mid Sept. Season runs November to Late Feb/Early Mar.
The Travel Program requires boys & girls in grades 5-8 to try out for a limited number of available roster spots. This program is a substantially greater time commitment. About 140 kids play in our travel program. Travel Registration typically opens in Early Sept with Late Sept/Early Oct tryouts. Season runs November to Late Feb/Early Mar.
See additional tabs for more league specific information
BASKETBALL SIZES FOR VARIOUS LEAGUES
Girls Grade 3-4 = 27.5", Girls Grade 5-12 = 28.5"
Boys Grade 3 = 27.5", Boys Grade 4-5 = 28.5", Boys Grade 6-12 = 29.5"
LET’S HAVE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE!
The GBA has adopted the Positive Coaching Alliance. To learn more about the PCA, please take a minute and visit the web site at www.positivecoach.org . In 2010 the GBA introduced this program. In 2011 the GBA will require all head coaches to take an online course on positive coaching. The GBA is committed to helping coaches and players get the most out of youth athletics. We are excited to sponsor and promote this excellent nationally recognized program.
USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES – GBA and Parks and Recreation Rules
It is the responsibility of the GBA Board of Directors, Coaches, Facility Supervisors and School Custodians to ensure that use of school buildings complies with the policies and general operating procedures of the Board of Education. The GBA is responsible for the conduct of all participants and/or guests associated with our activity.
PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING WITH YOUR CHILD:
- Food and Drinks are not permitted in school gyms (players to have spill-proof bottles with WATER ONLY).
- Smoking is prohibited in school buildings and on school grounds
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in school buildings and on school grounds
- Bouncing basketballs is not permitted in the hallways outside school gyms
- Vandalism or mistreatment of equipment or facilities is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated
- GBA players are not allowed in the gym until their Coach is present. Gyms are not available prior to the designated starting time and players should not be arriving more than 10 minutes earlier!
- To help minimize the amount of dirt, snow etc. tracked into the gym, have your child change from street shoes into their game sneakers before entering.
- Please supervise your children. Climbing and playing on equipment in the gyms is not allowed.
VIOLATION OF THE ABOVE POLICIES MAY RESULT IN EITHER EJECTION FROM THE GYM, SUSPENSION OF LEAGUE PLAY, LOSS OF LEAGUE FEES AND/OR FINANCIAL LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES INCURRED.